Thursday, April 5, 2007

I am going to deviate from my 1 Timothy devotional just this morning because I want to share with you what I recognized this morning in my study in the book of Acts. I have been reading through the book of Acts and trying to focus on the preaching of the Apostles. That is, how did Peter, Paul, Stephen and the rest preach? What was their method? Did they have one?

So I read Acts 13-14 this morning- the record of the first missionary journey of Paul, Barnabas and John Mark (though he later abandoned them).

In reading this text in the original, I noticed a phrase being repeated over and over, ton logon tou theou. Translated into English it is: "The Word of God." This phrase is found 7x in chapter 13 alone (13:5, 7, 12, 44, 46, 48 and 49). There is one place when an equivalent phrase is mentioned, te didache tou kuriou. Translated into English it is: "The teaching about the Lord."

This was the overarching message of the Apostles. They preached the Word about Christ! They proclaimed the Living Word of God.

One brief section greatly encouraged me. Doctor Luke writes...

Acts 13:36-39 36 "For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep, and was laid among his fathers, and underwent decay; 37 but He whom God raised did not undergo decay. 38 "Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, 39 and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses.

Think about it. The Jews are waiting for the Messiah. They knew that from Psalm 16:10, the Messiah would not undergo decay. Well, Paul makes the point here that David died and his body has decayed. However, Jesus Christ (The Word of God) has NOT decayed in the grave. Rather, he is Risen!

I pray that this Easter season we proclaim boldly and shamelessly the Glory of the Resurrection!
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!