Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm studying for a series of sermons I'm giving on the Second Coming. We have finally reached the climax in the book of Revelation as our youth group has traversed through the whole book with me!

I am struck with the normality of life which was going on at the time of the flood (Gen 6:5ff). Yet, God suddenly destroyed the world (all of it!) and those who lived on the world except for Noah, his family, and the animals aboard the ark with him.

Interestingly, the same is true today. Many people will live life as normal when Jesus Christ returns (the rapture and the Second Coming). But most Christians who would profess to believe in the soon-coming of our Savior are totally oblivious to the sudden and imminent return of Jesus Christ. Many believers live life without giving any thought to the possibility of meeting Christ at any moment--literally.

I was just pondering this truth. For instance, I'm sitting at my desk at church eating an oatmeal cookie. I had the thought that the Lord could rapture the saints before I take the next bite of my cookie. But to me, that next bite is so certain to happen (Amen!), but how naive we can be to think that Jesus Christ and His catching up of His own could "interrupt" my schedule! How wicked is that thought!

May we all sit back for a moment and ponder the all-too-near reality that Jesus Christ may come before the end of today. And whatever activity you were engaged in; whatever thought you were pondering; whatever place you were visiting, you may be caught up to meet the Lord in the air before that activity or thought is over or before you leave a place you're visiting. Let us remember afresh the fact that in a "twinkling of an eye" (1 Cor 15:52), we may be transported to the very presence of our Glorious Savior.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!