Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Colossians 3:12-14 12 And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

The verb "put on" is from the Greek, enduo meaning "I put on" or "I clothe." It is used in the NT most often for "putting on clothing" or "putting on the Godly person."

So what is the biblical clothing? Is God really, I mean...really, concerned about me wearing a tie in the pulpit? Is God really concerned as to whether I wear baggy jeans or flip flops to church or not?

I make the radical answer by saying, "NO." God doesn't care what I wear. This is not to neglect the importance of being a leader and an example to the people of God. But I often hear in circles that I'm in about how the pastor must do this, or he must do that, or he must wear this, but he must never wear that, it grieves me.

May we never lose sight of the fact that the biblical clothing that God is concerned with is the following:
1. Compassion
2. Mercy
3. Kindness
4. Humility
5. Gentleness
6. Patience
7. Bearing with one another in love
8. Forgiving one another
9. Love

So, biblically speaking, how are YOU dressing?
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!