Tuesday, January 23, 2007

THE MANDATE OF EXPOSITORY PREACHING

The Gospels, Acts, the Epistles, and Revelation provide many examples and exhortations to preach the truth in fulfillment of God’s will. As a reminder of the apostolic legacy and reaffirmation of the scriptural authority for Bible-based preaching, five significant mandates are representative of the larger number of passages.

Matt. 28:19-20--”Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

1 Tim. 4:13--”Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching.”

2 Tim. 2:2--”And the things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.”

2 Tim. 4:2--”Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.”

Titus 2:1--”But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.”

May God help us raise up men to preach the Word of God like this. I pray that I may be a man who fulfills the calling to "Preach the word!" (2 Tim 4:2). God help me.

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!