Monday, January 21, 2008

One of my favorite prayers of all time. It's a puritan's prayer:

Thou Incomprehensible but prayer-hearing God,
Known, but beyond knowledge,
revealed, but unrevealed,


My wants and welfare draw me to thee,
for thou hast never said," seek ye me in vain."

To thee I come in my difficulties, necessities, distresses;
possess me with thyself,
with a spirit of grace and supplication,
with a prayerful attitude of mind,
with access into warmth of fellowship,
so that in the ordinary concerns of life
my thoughts and desires may rise to thee,
and in habitual devotion I may find a resource that will
soothe my sorrows, sanctify my successes,
and qualify me in all ways for dealings with my fellow men.

I bless thee that thou hast made me capable
of knowing thee, the author of all being,
of resembling thee, the perfection of all excellency,
of enjoying thee, the source of all happiness.

O God, attend me in every part of my arduous and trying pilgrimage;
I need the same counsel, defence, comfort I found at my beginning.
Let my religion be more obvious to my conscience,
more perceptible to those around.

While Jesus is representing me in heaven, may I reflect him on earth,
While he pleads my cause, may I show forth his praise.


Continue the gentleness of thy goodness towards me,
And whether I wake or sleep, let thy presence go with me,
thy blessing attend me.

Thou hast led me on and I have found thy promises true,
I have been sorrowful, but thou hast been my help,
fearful, but thou hast delivered me,
despairing, but thou hast lifted me up.

Thy vows are ever upon me,
And I praise thee, O God.

Now go back and focus on the underlined phrases and consider making this prayer your own this morning.

Blessings to you.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!