Monday, February 11, 2008

How hard it is for the preacher to apply everything he studies. Moreover, how hard it is for the preacher to apply to his own life that which he expects his people to practice.

This weekend I spoke on Godly living from 1 Peter 3. One point of application I really attempted to drive home is the idea of being harmonious with one another; not retaliating; not paying back insult for insult. Listen to how Peter says it:

1 Peter 3:8-9 To sum up, let all be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil, or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.

It was my goal this weekend to try and live this application out. I knew I would boldly proclaim it to the youth group at our retreat, but I wanted to practice what I preach. If there is one season in life - I believe - in which people need a godly example, it is none other than Junior and Senior high. It is such a crucial time in life. Friends, culture, acceptance, reputation, family, school and looks are among a myriad of "issues" that these young people come face to face with daily.

This weekend I was reminded, yet again, that it is absolutely crucial for me - as their youth pastor - to practice what I preach. It is a simple concept. Yet I struggle with it. Praise God that He has given us the ultimate example to follow in His Son, Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 5:1-2 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you, and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!