Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Before I begin, this picture just made me laugh so I had to post it here. It in no way reflects my theology or is in support for what I'm going to say on this post. But I thought it was humerous.

The more I go to seminary, the more humbled I am. More often than not, I wonder as I'm driving to class, "Am I crazy?" I say that to myself because I am investing many hours of study, hard work, class time, and sacrificing brutally on sleep to be reminded each day of how much I do not know. Now I don't say that in a negative way. Just the opposite is true. I am humbled each day that I go to class that God has entrusted to me a monstrous stewardship. And I think that is the correct word for seminary - stewardship. I say this for a number of reasons:

1) I go to many classes to be reminded of how much I don't know in that specific field of study. For example, today I was in Exegesis of Psalms with a brilliant professor and was reminded of how much theology, grammatical and syntactical nuances, wordplays and literary devices are employed in the short six verses.

However, let me be quick to add at this point...

2) I go to seminary classes because I have an insatiable hunger for God's Word and for Divine truth. I don't go to seminary to be puffed up (haha -- far from it, I'm humbled nearly all of the time!). I don't go to seminary simply to learn Greek or Hebrew; to read mounds of books; to memorize lots of theology; to have more letters attached to my name to look nice on a resume. No. That's not why I go to seminary. I have this burning desire in my heart to know God (cf. Phil 3:10).

Here is my heart as I pray before school in the mornings:

Psalm 119:97 O how I love Thy law! It is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:113 I hate those who are double-minded, But I love Thy law (cf. 119:163).

Psalm 119:127 Therefore I love Thy commandments Above gold, yes, above fine gold.

Psalm 119:167 My soul keeps Thy testimonies, And I love them exceedingly.

This is seminary life. Is it hard? Extremely. Is it draining. Every day. Is it mentally challenging? Every time I step foot in a classroom this is made evident to me. Is it exciting? More than words can say. Is it worth the cost of sacrificing beauty sleep? Without a doubt.

What is the greatest part of seminary? Here's my answer in brief: The greatest part of seminary is being immersed in God's Word every day and having my life be constantly consumed with areas and issues that pertain to the Bible. Am I still crazy every time I drive to seminary and sit in a class under such godly and knowledgeable men? Absolutely. But praise God that this is a humbling and sobering time in my life while, at the same time, teaching me more about God and giving me the merciful opportunity to fall more in love with my Savior as each day passes.
Soli Deo Gloria.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!