Monday, May 5, 2008

These are some notes I took from class last week. I thought they may be of help:

1. BUT...WHAT DO I DO IF I JUST CAN’T GET TO SLEEP? OR IF I WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND CAN’T GET BACK TO SLEEP?
I must see the inability to sleep in the light of the sovereignty of God. Believe that these times represent opportunities from God.
a. An Opportunity for Examination
(1) Guilt? Sin? Lack of trust in God? Lack of biblical mindset?
-this is where our thoughts should go.
(2) Ps. 139:23-24 – ask God to search our hearts; know my anxious thoughts; lead me in the way everlasting.

b. An Opportunity for Meditation
(1) Ps. 119:148
(2) Ps. 16:7
(3) Ps. 77:6 – think of your favorite hymns and worship songs and sing them (to yourself! J). This is what Asaph does!! J
(4) Ps. 77:11-12
(5) Ps. 4:4

c. An Opportunity for Communication
(1) Ps. 4:1
-this person who has trouble w/ insomnia needs to call on the LORD
(2) Ps. 77:1-2
(3) Phil. 4:6-7
(a) Prayer for your own burdens
(b) Prayer for others’ burdens – gets focus off of self
-keep focus on God!! J
-the bible has a lot to say about sleep and getting good sleep

4. Summary
a. Address the possible spiritual causes of insomnia:
(1) A lifestyle of habitual worry and anxiety and not trusting God
(2) Guilt over disobedience
(3) A lack of hard work...doing all you know to do and can do to solve issues...but doing no more than that
(4) Not having a biblical mindset, a mind so saturated with Scripture that they think biblically as a lifestyle
(5) A lifestyle of discontent – with people, with circumstances, with God
b. And then, when God “keeps your eyelids open,” they can see it as an opportunity for examination, meditation, and supplication.

Blessings to you.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!