Monday, January 26, 2009

This week has been a preaching marathon for me and I've thoroughly enjoyed the hours I've spent with the Lord in His Word preparing these messages. Though I'm technically a full-time seminary student, I haven't devoted much time to my studies this week (which means double for this week!) but that's OK. Here's how my preaching schedule went last week:

Tuesday - I did OT Survey with the youth group (Yep, all of it in 1 hour!)
Wednesday - Psalm 11 at our Mid-Week Service
Friday - Isaiah 45 at WVCA Chapel
Saturday - History, Geography, Topography, and Climatology of Israel
Sunday AM - Acts 10-11 in CCC Morning Service
Sunday PM - Revelation 10 at the Rehabilitation center service.

Last night, as I preached from Revelation 10 to the guys at the Rehab. center, I concluded with vv.8-11 when the angel gives the Apostle John a book and tells him to "Take it and eat it..." I camped out on this for awhile. It proved to be one of those moments where I felt I was being confronted with God's Word from my own sermon in a powerful way.

Think about it. We are to take God's Word and eat it, digest it, consume it, and love it. This simply means that we are to take God's Word and internalize it--all of it! Listen to parallel verses throughout Scripture:

Ezekiel 3:1-4 Then He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." 2 So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. 3 And He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach, and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you." Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth. 4 Then He said to me, "Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them.

Matthew 4:4 4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'"

Jeremiah 15:16 16 Thy words were found and I ate them, And Thy words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Thy name, O LORD God of hosts

John 4:32-34 32 But He said to them, "I have food to eat that you do not know about." 33 The disciples therefore were saying to one another, "No one brought Him anything to eat, did he?" 34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to accomplish His work.

Let me ask you as I asked the guys last night at the Rehab center, do you feast on God's Word--Regularly? If Jesus, the God-Man, found his food and sustenance to "do the will of the Father" then how much more ought we to immerse ourselves and eat the Word?

In summary, David similarly writes:

Psalm 19:10 10 They [The Word of God] are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!