Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This week is especially exciting and busy for me. I am concluding one paper (Hebrews 1:5 and its usage of the OT) and beginning another paper (what is the role of dialoguing in preaching, if any?) for my PhD courses. I am super excited about these papers and have been learning a lot in my reading and writing.

I’m preaching Ephesians 1:7-12 tonight on the work of Jesus in our salvation. I am teaching that Jesus the Son actually redeemed us as our salvation is complete (7), God’s grace is sufficient (8-9), Jesus’ supremacy is all-encompassing (10), God’s providence is sovereign (11), and God’s glory is preeminent (12).

Tomorrow I’m preaching on Psalm 57. Psalm 57 tells us how to act if when we’re persecuted. David marvelously lays forth the plan for praying and asking God to be merciful (1), to finding shelter, provision, and God’s presence in the shadow of His wings (1b), and then David resolves in his heart to praise and worship God by exalting his glory, love, and truth (vv.3, 5, 11). It’s a marvelous and very apropos psalm for us today.

Saturday I’m preaching Revelation 20 on the Millennial kingdom and how the OT prophecies to national Israel are yet to be literally (!) fulfilled when Jesus is physically reigning on earth from the city of Jerusalem (cf. Isa 2, 11).

Sunday morning I’m preaching on James 1 on “how to listen to a sermon.” I read a book on the subject recently which really sparked my interest and the importance of the subject. Most “Christians” listen to a sermon a week (if they’re faithful in church attendance) which is about 52 a year. That’s about 500 sermons in 10 years and, say, close to 2,000 sermons in 40 years. Wow, how should we listen to, apply, and implement what we hear? James 1 gives the answer and I hope to faithfully, accurately, boldly, and practically expound the text for our people at CCC.

One of the greatest joys of my life is studying God’s Word. I would rather do nothing else than to study the Bible. The riches of God’s Word amaze me and the depth of God’s Word baffles me. And I only scratch the surface of the surface.

Romans 11:33-36 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! 34 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR? 35 Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN? 36 For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!