Tuesday, March 25, 2014

From James Montgomery Boice:

I suppose there are some people who in their old age only look back to the past and are often quite unhappy as they do. They think of what they have had and lost or what they wish they could have had an never did. The present does not mean much to them except as a basis for complaining about their multiplying aches and pains, and they are afraid to look forward. They are afraid of dying.

David's approach to old age was not like this. For not only did he look to the past to remember God's goodness and faithfulness to him over the many long years of his life, he also looked to the future in terms of the work yet remaining to be done. He knew that if God had left him in life and had not yet taken him home to be with him in glory, it was because there was work to do. This work was testifying to the coming generations about God.

Psalm 71:17-19  — 17 O God, You have taught me from my youth, And I still declare Your wondrous deeds.  18 And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come.  19 For Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens, You who have done great things; O God, who is like You?

(Boice, Psalms Volume 2, 597).
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!